Summer’s official kicked in, as have the climbing temperatures. This can mean horrors for our makeup regimen, especially since the summer heat brings with it a whole load of problems for your cosmetics. Be armed with the right techniques, so that your makeup this season won’t melt, but rather last.
- Get sun protection for your face. Make sure you wear a lightweight, preferably oil-free sunscreen of at least 30 SPF, on your face. Summer temperatures and hot sunlight can wreak havoc on your skin. Even if your foundation or moisturizer comes with sunscreen, never skip putting on actual sun protection so that your skin is completely protected.
- Apply a primer before your makeup. Primers help keep the oil levels on your face at bay. They also help keep your concealer and foundation on for much longer. Apply primer after you’ve cleansed your face, and before you put on your concealer. Doing so will ensure your base makeup lasts longer, even after breaking a sweat.
- Lighten up on the makeup. Summer’s trendy fashions are usually light and airy, and your makeup should be the same. Say goodbye to the dark eyeshadow and heavy mascara or lashes. Go for light, natural shades on your eyes, and apply a brown instead of black eyeliner, just to make your eyes “pop” a bit. Go for a light colored lip tint; avoid sultry, wet-effect lipsticks for now.
- Condition your lips. Remember to apply lip protection such as a lip balm, regularly throughout the summer. In the morning, apply lip protection with SPF, a few minutes before you put on your full makeup. At night, do the same after you’ve cleansed your face.
- Wash off your makeup completely. There’s nothing that can ruin your skin more quickly than makeup residue that’s left on your face after a long day. Before you go to bed, make sure you’ve cleansed your face with makeup remover, a good cleanser, toner and cold cream. Make sure you still moisturize your skin after cleansing, so that it won’t lose its suppleness, especially after you’ve been wearing makeup the whole day.
What are some of your summer makeup tips? Do share with us in the comments below, or hop on a discussion on our Facebook fan page.